Monday, March 9, 2009

There's no one else like Haydn

Haydn is twelve years old. He's a very compassionate and caring child. He loves history and he was recently baptized. I thank God for answering my prayers that Haydn has chosen the pathway to heaven. He has blossomed into a wonderful Christian. He's like a sponge when it comes to the bible. Haydn likes to debate with a kid that he goes to school with. His friend has an Atheist view and Haydn is out to show him the Truth!
Haydn was 6lbs. 3oz. when he was born. A tiny little thing. He didn't put on weight or grow like other children. He fell into the -10th percentile for height and weight so when he was around two, the doctor ran test to see why he was so small. They found that he had a hormone deficiency and a bone age delay, (that meant that his bones were approximately two years younger than his chronological age). The bone age delay was actually a good thing. This meant that he could hit a giant growth spurt. Haydn was monitored to make sure he didn't fall lower on the growth chart. When it seemed like he wasn't going to hit the growth spurt, the Endocrinologist thought that we should consider growth hormone shots. :-( This terrified me. I have a huge phobia of needles,(yes even after having three kids) but I was determined that if Haydn needed them then I would just have to make do. The doctor, Greg and I all agreed that we would wait until it seemed like his size bothered him. When he was in the fourth grade, Greg was taking him to school one day and unconsciously started to tie Haydn's shoe(old habits die hard), Haydn got very upset! He said that with his size and his dad tying his shoe, it made him look like a second grader. He was right. So I made another appointment with the Endocrinologist. Being a specialist, it's hard to get in sometimes. That acutualy worked in our favor because Haydn hit that growth spurt. He went from a size ten to a twelve-fourteen within a month. Then two months after he was in a fourteen-sixteen. Now there's no growth problems.
Yeah for Haydn! (and yeah for me and NO needles)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers